Information and Curiosities
Alimentary Characteristics and Effects on Health
Olive oil holds a special place among other fats, due to the completely natural method of processing (i.e. no chemicals whatsoever, ex. extraction solvents, and no changing of the temperature during the process of oil extraction). Therefore, this particular product meets the physiological needs of the human organism most adequately.
98-99% of olive oil consists of molecules called glycerides, while the remaining part is constituted by a variety of smaller components, e.g. sterols, tocopherols, phenols etc. These polyphenols represent the real value of this alimentary product, since they determine the oil’s life expectancy and are considered the primary quality parameter from both the organoleptic and the nourishing aspect.
The high concentration of polyphenolic elements present in the autochthonous sort “belica” affects the processes of antioxidation and is indispensible for the human diet, since it immobilizes the activity of the free radicals.
The extra-virgin olive oil contains a high percentage of monounsaturated fatty acids. The belica in particular has a concentration of oleic acid (one of the most important monounsaturated fatty acids) of approximately 75-78 percent.
- has an excellent digestibility, better than any other type of fat,
- has a high capacity of absorption by the intestine,
- helps stimulating a regular bile activity,
- has a high concentration of oleic acid (which is already present in human fat cells),
- has the right and balanced concentration of multisaturated fatty acids,
- has a high concentration of natural antioxidant substances.
Positive Effects of the Olive Oil:
- has a positive effect on the development of newborn babies,
- stimulates the digestion of other fats,
- lowers the level of the harmful cholesterol (Hdl) in the blood,
- prevents the excessive concentration of acid in the stomach and prevents gastric ulcers and gastritis,
- helps the elderly and patients with stomach-related problems to regain a healthy appetite,
- helps with various stomach or liver related diseases when the sick bodies decline any other fats,
- helps with the removal of gallstones,
- helps preventing osteoporosis by delivering vitamin D throughout the body and thus obstructs the gradual loss of calcium,
- lowers various factors connected to the occurrence of arteriosclerosis,
- has a magnanimous effect on blood pressure,
- plays a key role in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases,
- helps preventing thrombosis,
- helps deteriorating the development of cancer formation,
- prevents the formation of stretch-marks during pregnancy.